Annulment/Nullity of Marriage

An annulment (or "nullity of marriage" or "nullity of domestic partnership") is when a Court says your marriage or domestic partnership is NOT legally valid. A marriage or domestic partnership that is incestuous or bigamous is never valid and therefore VOID. Other marriages and partnerships are VOIDABLE because of:

  • Force, fraud, or physical or mental incapacity;
  • One of the spouses or partners was too young to legally marry or enter into a domestic partnership; or
  • One of the spouses or partners was married already or in a registered domestic partnership.

Annulments are very rare. If you ask to have your marriage or domestic partnership annulled, you will have to file a declaration in support of the request for nullity along with your petition for nullity of marriage. You also will have to go to hearing with a Judge.

Note: If you have children in common with the other party, you must ask the Court to establish the parentage of that person. Check with a lawyer about how to do this. Find a lawyer.. The ACCESS Center also may be able to give you some information.

More information on Annulment is available here.


A filing fee will be charged to file a Petition for Annulment. To find the current fee, please see our fee schedule. If you cannot afford the filing fee, you may complete an Application for Waiver of Fees.