Restraining orders - workplace violence

Effective January 23, 2023: Civil Harassment Restraining Orders will be heard in Dept. 505 of the Civic Center Courthouse on tuesdays and thursdays at 9:00 a.m.

What is a Workplace Violence Restraining Order?

An employer whose employee has suffered unlawful violence or threat of violence from any individual that can be construed to be, or to have been, carried out at the workplace, may seek a restraining order through the court. An employee may not seek a Workplace Violence Restraining Order on his or her own behalf.

Back to Top

What forms do I need?

Back to Top

After I have completed the forms, what do I do?

Make three copies of the completed Petition for Workplace Violence Restraining Order (WV-100). Staple the original (and copies), then take the completed Request for Workplace Violence Restraining Order (WV-100) and two copies, the Confidential CLETS Information (CLETS-001), the Notice of the Court Hearing (WV-109), and the Temporary Restraining Order (WV-110) to the courthouse for filing.

Back to Top

Where do I file my forms?

Present completed forms and copies to the new filings clerk (unless otherwise specified) in Room 103 of the Civic Center Courthouse.

Back to Top

What if I need an interpreter?

If you will need an interpreter at your Restraining Order Hearing, tell the clerk in Room 103 when you file your restraining order forms so that one may be arranged for you. 

Back to Top

Is there a filing fee?

If the petitioner alleges no violence in the petition, there will be a filing fee (please see the Statewide fee schedule for current fees) or you may qualify for a fee waiver. 
If the petitioner alleges violence in the petition, there will be no filing fee, however if your request is denied by the Judge, you will be expected to pay the filing fee before your court date.
The Sheriff’s Department will charge a fee to serve the Temporary Restraining Order for those who are not granted a fee waiver.

Judicial Council Forms to apply for a fee waiver:

Back to Top

When will I get my order?

If you file your petition before 10 a.m., you may pick-up your restraining order the same day between 2:30 p.m.- 4:30 p.m. at window #1 in the Civil Filing Office, Room 103.

If you file your petition after 10 a.m., you may pick-up your restraining order the next court day between 2:30 p.m.- 4:30 p.m. at window #1 in the Civil Filing Office, Room 103.

Please pick up your order promptly to allow enough time to have the defendant(s) served with the Temporary Restraining Order and Notice of Court Hearings.

Back to Top

How do I get the other party served?

You can choose one of three ways to serve the defendant:

You can go through the Sheriff’s Department (located in City Hall, Room 456 on the 4th Floor), or any law enforcement officer. 

There is a fee unless you have a granted fee waiver to go through the Sheriff’s Department.

Any person who is at least 18 years old and is not a party to the action can serve the defendant on your behalf. Make sure the person fills out the Proof or Personal Service (WV-200).

Hire a process server. You can find one online by searching in a web brower for "process server." Make sure you get the completed Proof of Service form from the process server.

Proof of Service must be completed and signed by the person who serves the other partyYou must file the Proof of Service in Room 103 and bring a copy to your court hearing.

Back to Top

What if I can't get the restraining order served in time for the hearing?

There are two ways you can continue your court date on your Workplace Violence case.

  • If you were not able to serve the defendant, you will need to request the Court to reissue the temporary restraining order. This request is made by completing the Request to Continue Court Hearing (WV-115) and the Order on Request to Continue Hearing (WV-116). The forms must be completed and filed along with a copy of your prior Temporary Restraining Order (WV-110), a minimum of two days before the date of your scheduled hearing. 
  • You also may orally request a continuance in Court during your hearing. If your request for continuance is granted, the Judge will sign an Order on Request to Continue Hearing (WV-116) form and set a new hearing date.

Both methods extend your Temporary Restraining Order so you will be protected until the new hearing date.

Back to Top

Where can I find someone to help me?

The ACCESS Center can show you how to fill out the forms you will need, explain the filing process, and help you prepare for Court.

Back to Top