Sep. 26, 2016

Restraining Orders

Domestic Violence Restraining Order

You can ask for a Domestic Violence Restraining Order if:

  • A person has abused you; and
  • You have a close relationship with that person (married or registered domestic partners, divorced, separated, dating or used to date, live together or used to live together*), or you are related (parent, child, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, mother-in-law, son-in-law) or you have a child with the person.
    *You have to be more involved than just roommates.

Elder or Dependent Adult Protective Order

You can ask for an Elder or Dependent Adult Restraining Order if:

  • You are 65 or older, or you are between 18 and 64 and have certain disabilities; and
  • You are a victim of:
    • Physical or financial abuse;
    • Neglect, abandonment; or
    • Treatment that has physically or mentally hurt you.


© 2016 Superior Court of California - County of San Francisco