Jun. 29, 2017

Name Change

If you want to change your name or the name of your child, you can ask the Court for an order changing the legal name. You can then use the court order to change the birth certificate, passport, social security card, driver's license, and other documents. You must reside in San Francisco to file in this County.

After you file your petition to change the name, you will get a court hearing. Before your hearing, you will have to put a notice in a Court-approved newspaper for four weeks in a row, one day per week. Check with the ACCESS Center to determine which newspapers are approved in San Francisco.

If you are trying to change the name of your child, you will also have to let the other parent know so that s/he has a chance to come to Court if s/he doesn't agree. If both parents agree, they both can sign the petition to change their child's name.

The ACCESS Center can show you how to fill out the forms, understand why and how to publish the notice in a newspaper, and help you prepare for your court hearing.


California Court Forms

© 2017 Superior Court of California - County of San Francisco